Thursday, February 16, 2012

Thursday, February 17

I was woke this morning by Feargal, noticing that I had slept in later than most days. I had been talking with him late the night before about the new friends and a girl I had met at the pub as well as discussing the subject of cannabis reform back home and how effectively new laws might work for the people.  I was feeling sick as I woke with mild congestion and a sour stomach and did not wake to the radio or sounds that I normally do. I did not feel good enough for anything but a cup of tea and felt the bug weighing on me as I drug myself out of the house. The weather was calling for rain and cold winds so Feargal had offered me work indoors installing a few windows that I had cleared out a few days before. After cleaning the areas of rumble and carrying the heavy panes up from the lower level I began measuring and figuring which frame would go where. One hole had to be set with brick before a window could be installed, one was too large to handle alone and the third was one inch taller than the hole that was there. I had to use the kango, or small jack hammer to cut out an extra inch of concrete off the sill, working from the outside on the scaffolding. After my groove was cut, Feargal helped me wedge the window in place only to realize the top was uneven and had to be leveled before the pane would fit. I worked to cut the corners of the groove deeper and smooth the edges of the concrete frame with a hammer and chisel. As we attempted placing the window in again, we could tell it was still too tight to get it in safely and I went back to the hammer this time making sure the groove was more than needed and every lump or corner in the concrete was broken out of the way. At this point heavy rain had hit the area and dark was coming fast. The third attempt was successful, but the pane sat unlevel from how deep I had made the groove. I worked another hour and a half past dark with Feargals assistance to get the fixtures drilled and attached for a stabel frame. With every small task we found difficulty because of poor lighting and granite laid only inches into the wall making it hard to attach screws. It was a day absent of "organic" work, but I was free from the rain and muck atleast. Tomorrow I will likely be working on another window which we noticed is also larger than the hole we have to fit it in. I plan to take some time to atleast read and do some planning for the bedding area and a rotation I can start them with in the next week. Frances and I have discussed using the available space for common vegetables such as peas, beans, tomatoes and peppers, with onions, herbs, and lettuce sown between the main crops. One bed is divided into four boxes and the other two or three beds will be mostly undivided. I can use any divisions for different cultivars and to attach a trellis system. An area farther up the hill will be cleared and mulched to be used for potatoes and vine type crops. Also we will set up an area were young deer can be caught and raised for meat as well as a goat that will be tied to posts and allowed to clear the brush. The next warm day I will be planting herbs and small  ornamentals for Frances who is occupied in Dublin sorting out insurance and a new vehicle. I preffer being in th muck getting my hands dirty rather than working with a hammer on the concrete, but the poor weather does restrict me to what work is available. I pray atleast tomorrow, if I am installing another window, that it goes in on the first attempt and I can get back to the field. I would like to use my next update discussing crops and rotations that I can use for food production in a small household rather than the frustrations of being kept inside. Until then, all those who are reading, Go raibh míle maith agat!

No comments:

Post a Comment